No state license required to become HVAC technicians in Florida.
Florida currently offers three different licenses for HVAC contractors:
– Class A – Air Conditioning (All Capacities)
– Class B – Air Conditioning (Not more than 25 tons)
Prerequisites and steps to getting licensed:– You must have at least 4 years working experience with adequate business insurance
– Meet the appropriate minimum net worth requirement
– Submit the application form here along with $135 fee
– Take the Business and Finance exam (which is taken on a computer) and the Air Conditioning exam (which is a written exam). The exams last 4.5 hours and the passing score is 70%. There is an $160 fee for two exams.
Note: Federal law requires EPA certification.
For more information, visit Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board.