No state license required to become HVAC technicians in California.
California offers a number of different licenses for HVAC contractors depending on the type of work you will be performing. The classifications are as follows:
– C-04 Boiler, Hot Water Heating, and Steam Fitting
– C-20 Warm-Air Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning
– C-38 Refrigeration
– C-43 Sheet Metal
– C-46 Solar
Must have at least 4 years work experience/education in their field.
At least $2500 in working capital
Steps to Get Licensed:
1. Complete the appropriate application here.
2. Fees to pay the Contractors State License Board of California as follows: $300 application, $180 License, $75 Additional Classification.
3. Pass the appropriate trade exam which consists of 100 questions lasting 2.5 hours and requires a passing score of 72%.
Note: Federal law requires EPA certification.