On August 1st, 2009, a new law went into effect that requires all applicants wishing to sit for the Heating & Air Conditioning or Refrigeration contractors’ exam to have a certain amount of experience and or education prior to taking the exam. To be eligible for the exams, an applicant must have held an apprentice registration for 2 years or more; or have completed 3000 hours of coursework or experience; or be a graduate of an approved curriculum. The Alabama Board of Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Contractors does not require any state license for HVAC professionals. However, if you decide to pursue an apprenticeship either on “HVAC” or “refrigeration”, you must fill out an optional registration form along with the $25 fee to the state and attach either the following:
1. An employer verification of work history form.
2. An affidavit of application form stating that you are working under the supervision of a certified HVAC contractor.
You are not required to submit both forms
In order to be approved to sit for the examinations and obtain your license, you must complete the following steps:
1. Submit an exam application to the Board, along with the $150 fee, and attach at least one of the following items:
- Affidavits signed and notarized by the employer(s) stating that you have worked in the industry for at least 2 within the past 5 years and all corresponding W-2 Forms from the employer(s).
- Copies of certificates demonstrating that you have completed at least 3000 hours of educational training.
- Proof of graduation from an accredited curriculum (see notes below).
2. Take the exam at one of the four PSI testing sites (see notes below) in Alabama. The exam is open book and lasts for 4 hours. It covers industry and building code practices. In order to pass, you must answer at least 53 out of 80 problems (66.25%) on the exam correctly.
3. Upon passing the exam, post a $15,000 bond to the state.
– Federal law requires EPA certification.
Construction Education Foundation of Alabama
Gwinnett Technical College, Lawrenceville, GA
Trenholm State Technical College
West Georgia Technical College
Exam Locations | HVAC Certification
- Birmingham (100 Centerview Drive, suite 121)
- Huntsville (4900 University Square, suite 4)
- Mobile (6051 -B Airport Blvd)
- Montgomery (500 Interstate Park Drive, suite 530)
For more information, visit the Alabama Board of Heating, Air Conditioning, and Refrigeration Contractors