Kentucky currently offers 4 separate HVAC licenses:
– Limited Journeyman Duct Mechanic
– Limited Journeyman Installer Mechanic
– Journeyman Mechanic
– Master Contractor
Prerequisites and steps to getting licensed (Journeyperson licenses):
– Must have 2 years working experience and/or 3000 hours under the supervision of a master HVAC contractor.
– Download an application form here take an open-book written exam consisting of 60 questions in 3 hours, with a passing score of 70%.
– The application fee is $50.
Prerequisites to getting licensed (Contractor license):
– Must have 2 years working experience under the supervision of a master contractor.
– Download an application form here and take an open-book written exam consisting of 75 questions in 2.5 hours, with a passing score of 70%. The application fee is $250.
– You must also pass both a Business exam as well as a trade exam. The fees for both exams are $160 total.
Note: Federal law requires EPA certification.
For more information, visit Kentucky Division of HVAC.