Hawaii does not currently require HVAC technicians to obtain a license.
Hawaii currently offers a C40 Refrigeration License.
Prerequisites and steps to getting licensed:
– Submit your application form here. Furnish insurance and financial information and pay the $50.00 application fee.
– Upon approval the license fee is $415 to $545 depending on the time of year submitted.
– Be able to furnish appropriate financial proof as required.
Hawaii requires each company to have an RME (Responsible Managing Employee) on staff. For more information and requirements, please visit the Hawaii Board of Contractors website.
Prerequisites for RME license:
– Each company must have an employee designated as the RME, Responsible Managing Employee License
– The RME must have 4 years managerial experience in the last ten years and must complete and include with the application, the experience statement documents and include $50 application fee.
– After the application approval, you may schedule an exam with Prometric.
– Take 2 compulsory exams, Business and law and a Trade exam. Exam fee is $75 for each exam.
– Business and law exam is closed book, 80 questions, 75% passing and 3 hours.
– Upon approval and passing the exam the license fee is $255 to $335 depending on the time of year submitted.
Note: Federal law requires EPA certification.
For more information, visit Hawaii Contractors License Board.